On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Brian Hansen <greencopperm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Our company is merging with another company and newsletter now needs to go
> out to more than 100.000 people. Before it was only a couple of thousands.
>
> I have developed a mail queue using a database and a cronjob, but I am not
> in doubt as to what particular solution I need to implement.
>
> I have been running some tests with PHP mail() function, PHPMailer and
> PEAR:Mail using 6000 mails at once.
>
> Here's a sumarry of some of the results:
>
> PHP mail() send out 6000 mails in 1.75 seconds.
> PHPMailer using PHP mail() send out 6000 mails in 1.87 seconds.
> PHPMailer using SMTP send out 6000 mails in 12 seconds (Error without
> succes).
> PEAR:Mail using PHP mail() send out 6000 mails in > 20 seconds (Apache
> reached 100% during this time).
>
> Running several test on PHPMailer using SMTP failed completely with more
> than 1000 mails.
>
> Everywhere on the net I read that sending out mail using PHP mail() is slow
> and it is a bad idea and that using some mail class with SMTP directly would
> be much better. I have tested the run my tests with Postfix as the SMTP.
>
> I have gotten the best results using PHP mail(). When the volume is belove
> 6000 PHP mail() is by far the fastest.
>
> Would someone mind sharing experience and perhaps shedding some light on
> this issue?
>
> What is the best solution in real life dealing with huge amounts of mail?
> PHP mail() vs. some class using SMTP or binary sendmail (or wrapper)?
>
> All insights would be appriciated.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Brian

I've done a lot of work trying to get mail servers/php code to work
reliably together in sending bulk mail.  It's not trivial business. If
you have control of the setup, change the mail server to just queue
your mail instead of sending it directly.  I did this and it solved a
lot of really nasty headaches.  I use Zend_Mail & this method to send
custom generated html emails to a lot of people and it never fails.

It might not work for you though, so good luck!

--
http://www.voom.me | EFnet: #voom