Jim Lucas wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>> 9el wrote:
>>> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM, PJ <af.gour...@videotron.ca
>>> <mailto:af.gour...@videotron.ca>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've done some rethingking and this may be the direction to go:
>>>
>>> What I need to wind up with is something like this:
>>>
>>> $sql = "INSERT INTO book_categories ( book_id, category )
>>> VALUES( '$autoID', '$categoriesID[0]' ),
>>> ( '$autoID', '$categoriesID[1]' ),
>>> ( '$autoID', '$categoriesID[2]' ),
>>> ( '$autoID', '$categoriesID[3]' )
>>> ( '$autoID', '$categoriesID[4]' )";
>>>
>>> Does it make sense?
>>> How do I pass the values to the query?
>>>

>>> You can run a php loop inside the insert clause.
>>> But if its already existing record then it woud be UPDATE clause.
>>>
>> Could I have a small hint as to how to do that. I'll check the manual
>> and search G in the meantime. Right now, it's Friday night and I'm
>> about to get whammied by the wife... ;-) have a good night & let's
>> hope for a brighter tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrowwww
>>

> To do something like what you are describing above, you would do the
> following:
>
> <?php
>
> # Setup your DB connection etc...
>

> # Build insert statement for your book
> $sql = "INSERT INTO books (title, author, etc...) VALUES ('To kill a
> mocking bird', 'Harper Lee', etc...)";
>
> # Execute insert statement
> if ( ( $results = mysql_query($sql, $dblink) ) !== false ) {
>
> # Grab last insert ID for my thread
> $last_id = mysql_insert_id($dblink);
>
> # Check to see if any categories were choosen
> if ( $categoriesIN ) {
> $values = array();
>
> # Loop through each category and build VALUES entry...
> foreach ( $categoriesIN as $k => $id ) {
>
> # Build VALUES entry, plus run $id through escape function for sanity
> $values[] = "( {$last_id}, ".mysql_real_escape_string($id)." )";
> }
>
> # Join the VALUES entries just created and separate them with a comma
> $sql = "INSERT INTO book_categories ( book_id, category ) VALUES " .
> join(', ', $values);
>
> # Execute book 2 categories SQL entry
> if ( ( $results = mysql_query($sql, $dblink) ) === false ) {
>
> # If it fails, show me why
> echo 'Book to category entry failed: '.mysql_error($dblink);
> }
> }
> } else {
> # Show why my book SQL entry failed
> echo "Book insert failed: ".mysql_error($dblink);
> }
>
> ?>
>
> That is about as best as can be explained.
>
> BTW - I took away the quotes around your values in your second insert
> statement. They are numbers and numbers should not have quotes around
> them.
>
> Hopefully this works, or guides you in the direction of the answer you
> seek.
Hi Jim & thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to figure them out...
looks complicated.

What I finally came up with was this: the $autoid was previously retrieved
$autoId = mysql_insert_id($result);

foreach($categoriesIN as $category){
print "$category<br />";
$insert_category = "INSERT INTO book_categories (book_id, categories_id)
VALUES ($autoid, $category)";
mysql_query($insert_category,$db);
}
That did it. But it looks like the values are inserted as individual
arrays of 1 field each.

So now I have to figure out either how to convert the array to a number
or how to store & recover the fields to display in an html table with
hrefs to category pages... lot's of fun ... heh...heh...heh...
--
unheralded genius: "A clean desk is the sign of a dull mind. "