Davi Vidal wrote:
On 03/21/2009 10:19 AM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
Hi all,

I am inserting more than 5000 rows into sql database but its taking more
than 30 mins  to get it all the data inserted. I use union to insert
multiple rows of 20 at a time.

What is the best way to make insert sql statement run faster

Usually a single transaction is faster than an insert a time (with or without union)

    What do you mean?

START TRANSACTION;
INSERT;
INSERT;
INSERT;
COMMIT;

That's the right syntax. Are you using mysql? Are you using innodb tables? If you're using mysql but not innodb, then no point doing this since myisam is non-transactional.

What's the actual query you're running? You shouldn't need to use a union for a straight insert.

An insert-into-select query could use a union, but then how fast is the select statement by itself (without the insert) ?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/