From: Leon du Plessis [mailto:l...@dsgnit.com]
Sent: 13 April 2009 06:48 PM
To: 'PJ'
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP] what to use instead of foreach

Hi PJ,

Ok, If I understand correctly you can attempt to alter your code as per
following example (I am breaking it down a little for readability):

a) If you only wish to output the authors, see also Mark Kelly's example,
You can simply output as many authors you have associated (you will need an
associated array!!:

Or b) I include the following alternative example:

$string_out = "":
Foreach ($my_titles as $titles)
{
   Echo "Title: $titles By:<br>";
   Foreach($my_authors[$title] as $author)
      $string_out .= "$author, "; /* Building string */

   // Add <br>
   $string_out .= "<br>";

   // Here you would replace your last comma with the "&" you want
   // There are a few ways to do this (like Mark Kelly's), but will try
   // another way (older, maybe less complicated?).
   $final_string = substr($string_out,0,strrpos($string_out,",") - 1);
   $final_string .= " & " .
      substr($string_out,strrpos($string_out,",") + 1);

So all you need is to modal your data around this, and you should be fine.
You could construct your arrays then as follows as an example:

$my_titles = array("title1","title2");
$my_authors["title1"] = array("a someone","a notherone");
$my_authors["title2"] = array("mr. a","mr. b");

and so forth...how you construct the data is then very important as you can
then later use it simplify your coding as you progress and as demonstrated
below:

In future, where the need justifies it, you can construct your array to
already contain the needed string you want to output, it may help, but you
will sometimes have the same effort in constructing the data for the arrays,
so it is up to you to decide which approach is going to be best: e.g.
$my_titles = array("title1","title2");
$my_authors["title1"] = array("a someone, a notherone & Mr. X");

Then you can simply echo the array value:
echo "$my_authors["title1"] . "<br>";

Hope it is enough info for to work on for now!!

Have fun!
Leon