On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Matt Neimeyer wrote:

I have a function that currently takes a boolean value as a parameter.
But now I want to expand it to 3 options...  So if I have...

function doFooBar($doFoo = false)
  {
  if($doFoo)
     { echo "Did Foo"; }
  else
     { echo "Did Bar"; }
  }

Is it as "simple" as changing it like follows to avoid having to
change existing code that won't use the new values.

function doFooBar($doFoo = 0)
  {
  if($doFoo == 2)
     { echo "Did Baz"; }
  else if($doFoo == 1)
     { echo "Did Foo"; }
  else
     { echo "Did Bar"; }
  }

Something about that disturbs me. Perhaps because any time I think "Oh
it will be as simple as..." it usually isn't.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Unless you're doing a strict comparison (===), it probably won't make a lot of difference. However, if you sent "true" to the function, I believe it will reach the last else condition. You may revisit all the locations you call it and update them appropriately.

Those are my initial thoughts....

~Philip