At 7:11 PM -0700 7/5/01, Rory O'Connor wrote:
>Excuse me if this is too newbie...but I'm writing a simple script to
>query a database and loop through the reuslts, echoing them on the page.
>  When I enter the query at the mysql command line, I get the correct
>results.  But the same query run through PHP renders all results except
>the first one.  Any idea why?

It's doing exactly what you told it to ;)

See below:

>I've included the code snippet below:
>
>//the query to select the data
>$query = "SELECT firstname,email,optin from contact where
>interest='rory'";
>$result = mysql_query($query);
>if(!$result) error_message(sql_error());
>
>$query_data = mysql_fetch_row($result);

This line fetches the first row and moves the pointer to the next
row. You then proceed to ignore the results of the first row! Just
delete this line, and you'll be happy.

>while($query_data = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
>         $firstname = $query_data["firstname"];
>         $email = $query_data["email"];
>         $optin = $query_data["optin"];
>
>         echo "<BR>\n";
>         echo "$firstname;$email;$optin\n";
>
>} //end while loop
>
>also, what would be the code to output the reuslts to a text file
>instead of (or in addition to) the screen?

Check out the file functions - fopen, fwrite, fclose will be of
particular interest:

        http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.filesystem.php

--
+------ Factoid: Of the 100 largest economies in the world, 51 are ------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |