On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:39:18 +0100, Richard Heyes wrote:

>> I have the following issue! I want to develop my website on my local
>> machine, and then upload the entire developed site to a production
>> server. What is the best strategy to do that?
>> I have been looking at a php mirroring script but that was about 5 years
>> old! Is'nt there a better/newer approach?
>
> I used to use rsync (with a bunch of options) whenever I did this.
> With you being on Linux, it would be trivial to automate it with a
> script.

And, if you don't have ssh access to the web server -- but rather, just
ftp -- there's `ftpsync` which I use.  When Googling for `ftpsync` ,
ignore the windo$ hits.  There's a name collison there.  You want the
linux program.

Be carefull with ".htaccess".  heh heh  Mine are different for the local
machine -- mainly for testing and local lan purposes.  Now and then I
screw up and upload an .htaccess from the local web server to the
World-Wide-Web server.  Big snafu - that!  :-)

HTH
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2