Just getting this back on the list >.>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eddie Drapkin <oorza...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [PHP] What does this mean?
To: Jason Carson <ja...@jasoncarson.ca>

It's used in key value combinations in several places.

When building an array:
$foo = array('key' => 'value', 'another_key' => 'another value');
which will give you an array that looks like
$foo['key'] = 'value';
$foo['another_key'] = 'another_value';

Also, in foreach(), which is a language construct used to iterate over arrays:

foreach($foo as $key => $val) {
 echo "The key for this element is $key and the value is $val\n";
}
will output:
The key for this element is key and the value is value
The key for this element is another_key and the value is another_value

Those are the two most common places you'll see it (and perhaps the
only, I don't want to speak conclusively, though, I'm awfully tired
this evening!)