I have a working apache 2.2.11 server and php 5.2.9 installed.
APACHE CONFIGURATION
Files are in: C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/
Apache https.conf is amended to add at the end of the LoadModule lines (not between any tags):

   LoadModule php5_module "C:/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"

   PHPIniDir "C:/PHP"

at the end of the file, though i cannot find any section called AddModule per the php installation notes ('Installing as an Apache module'):
   AddModule mod_php5.c
On clicking Start Apache http server, this gives "Invalid command 'AddModule' perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in server configuration." The PHP Installation guide says to add this at the end of the AddModule section. There is no AddModule in the default http.conf of Apache 2.2.11. So for now have commented it out.

and between <IfModule mime_module> and </IfModule>:

   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

PHP CONFIGURATION
The php.ini file is in C:/PHP.
php.ini:
doc_root = "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs"

WINDOWS CONFIGURATION

I have added ;C:/PHP to the end of the string for Environment Variables.

I have re-booted and re-started.  I am testing this file:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\test.php

which has
<?
print("test");
?>

and this outputs as code rather thna as 'test'.

When I start the Apache http server, I get:

httpd.exe: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name
, using 10.0.0.4 for ServerName
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs

My ISP has a dynamic IP address system, what do I use for ServerName? Do I need a static address or registered web site name to run on home computer?

Apache httpd.conf has:
# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
#
#ServerName
Any idea what might be wrong with the php code showing?

Thanks,

John