On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 10:47 -0400, PJ wrote:
> Jim Lucas wrote:
> > PJ wrote:
> >> Could somebody please explain to me what is wrong with this code?
> >> In my script it works, returns the correct id, but when I try it in a
> >> test pages, nothing in the world gets it to work. This is rather
> >> frustrating, again:
> >> THIS WORKS IN ANOTHER PAGE; IN THE TEST PAGE ID DOES NOT.
> >> $sql = "SELECT id FROM publishers
> >>         WHERE publisher = 'whoever'";
> >>       $result = mysql_query($sql,$db);
> >>         $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);           if
> >> (mysql_num_rows($result) !== 0) {
> >>           $pub = $row['id'];
> >> Syntax is ok, echo "hello"; works.
> >>

> >> This works in the test page:
> >> $aid = array();
> >> $ord = array();
> >> $sql = "SELECT authID, ordinal
> >>         FROM book_author WHERE bookid = 624 ORDER BY ordinal ASC";
> >>         $result = mysql_query($sql, $db);             //$row =
> >> mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
> >>             while ( $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result) ) {
> >>             $aid[]=$row['authID'];
> >>             $ord[]=$row['ordinal'];
> >>             }
> >>             var_dump($aid);
> >>             echo "<br />";
> >>             var_dump($ord);
> >>             echo $aid[0], " - ";
> >>             echo $ord[0];
> >>
> >> This does not:
> >> $fi="joe"; $la="joe";
> >> $sql = "SELECT id FROM author
> >>         WHERE first_name = '$fi' && last_name = '$la'";
> >>     $result = msql_query($sql, $db);
> >>         $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
> >>         $count=mysql_num_rows($result);
> >>     echo $count;
> >>           if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
> >>           $a_id=$row['id'];
> >>           }
> >>           echo $a_id, "<br /><br />";
> >> The test page prints out echo "some text"; but no results when the
> >> results are there....
> >> Tell me I have missed something simple here, or is this normal for php ?
> >> I have checked the queries on Mysql command line and they are fine.
> >> I have verified the syntax and Netbeans tells me it is fine.
> >> Same results Firefox3 (2 machines) & IE 8.
> >> What is not fine?
> >>

> > I was preaching this to you months ago.  You should have error
> > reporting turned on in a development area.
> >
> > by that I mean php should be set to display_errors = on and
> > error_reporting = E_ALL
> >
> > Give this a try in a development area and "you will see the errors of
> > your ways..."
> >
> The error reporting is always on as you suggested and I use it all the time.
> But error reporting cannot report a non-existing error - a human stupid
> error that I finally caught - msql instead of mysql... oh. well... :-(
>
> --
> Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
> Phil Jourdan --- p...@ptahhotep.com
>    http://www.ptahhotep.com
>    http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

Actually, if you had error reporting on, it should have at least picked
that up as a function that was not defined. You do mention you get a lot
of white pages instead of errors, which suggests that either you do not
have errors turned on, or you are turning them on from within PHP, which
can sometimes fail if there are fatal errors in the code.

Thanks
Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk