Asher and Jonathan,

Thank you for your input. Having single quotes around what I wanted to
comment worked to display a variable name.

And Asher, I am constantly scanning the php.net manual, and only after I
could not find what I was looking for did I resort to php-general list. I am
a novice at php, and I don't quite have the familiarity with terms and such
to always find what I'm looking for, or the experience to always know I have
indeed found what I was looking for. I am learning php vis php.net, a PHP
and MySQL for Dummies book, and you fine people on the php-general list.
Additionally, I need things spelled out for me for them to stick, and I
don't have the luxury of asking someone for help who can show in person like
some have had the fortune to have handy when they were learning. I imagine
that there are many who learned as I am, however, seeing as how scripting
and coding is by definition a pioneering endeavour.

Thank you all for the tons of help you have provided, and please bear with
me as I learn. My goal by asking questions of you all is not to get out of
doing any work or research, it's to get myself over the little hangups so I
can proceed with the learning process.

Stay tuned for more 'newbie' questions!