Martin,
Thanks! Not only did that help tremendously but it also gave me a better understand of regular expressions.

Thanks!
Floyd

On Aug 6, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Martin Scotta wrote:

here you have the regexp's

######## = \d{8}
AAAAAA = \w{6}
#A? = [\w\d]* (change the * for + to require at least 1 character)
##-A#A = \d\d-\w\d\w

<?php

if( 0 == preg_match('/\d{8}/', $user_input ))
    echo 'wrooong input';

# you can change the delimiters for any you like
# I prefer this one 'cause no need to escape the backslash \

if( 1 == preg_match('#[\w\d]+#', $user_input))
    echo 'it has alpha numeric and the "_" character';

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Floyd Resler <fres...@adex-intl.com> wrote: I need some assistance in pattern matching. I want allow the admin user to enter a pattern to be matched in my order form editor. When someone then places an order I want to do a match based on that pattern. Some of the examples I thought for the patterns are:
######## - must be numeric and 8 digits
AAAAAA - must be alpha and 6 characters
#A? - must be alphanumeric any length
##-A#A - must have two numbers, a dash, a letter, a number, and a letter

I'm sure regular expressions are the answers but I am not well- versed in those at all and I'm not sure how to make the above patterns work in or even they are the best examples to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Floyd