I am developing an idea for a website engine which can be shared between
several different
websites. Each website would have its own directory under a common root
directory, and the
engine would be in a separate directory Engine:

Root
Website_1.com, Website_2.com, Engine

The website directories would each contain the design data for that website,
consisting
basically of a mixture of text files and images. The various pages would be
loaded by
parameters
e.g.

http://www.corybas.com/index.php?path=Holidays&level=0&item=0

I have the minimum amount of code in index.php -- just enough to set some
parameters to
identify the website, and then include ../Engine/Main_prog.php.  This in turn
can include
any of a large number of other include files to carry out particular functions.

I have the prototype working nicely on my PC, and on a stand-alone basis on a
server, but
now I am trying to upload the multi-website version to a public host, and am
encountering
a number of problems, mainly because I have never done any serious work with
UNIX, and the
host support staff don't understand what I am trying to do.

The problems mainly relate to setting permissions to allow the website to
access the
engine code. I only have a rough idea of how the permissions work, but I think
that to
include engine code the website has to have read and execute rights to it, and
I also
think that so far as the engine is concerned the website will count as 'other'.
 (I can
easily arrange that all temporary files are written in the website directory.)

I suspect that rather than including the engine code in index.php, it would be
better to
call functions in it, so that the website only required 'execute' rights, but I
don't know
of any way to do this without having anything running permanently on the
server. Can
anyone suggest how it can be done?