----- Original Message ----

Depends on your application design and/or your desired result.  If you design
your application to do all processing before output is sent starting with
modular approach of including css & js files inside the <head> element, you
don't have to worry about going back to changing every single output file when
you decide the change your layout or javascript framework.  It also makes your
code page a bit cleaner when you do use include in the <head>.  If you want to
make use of chunked encoding, you can including the rest within the <body>.

Thus, include everything before <html> gives you a slight pause 'waiting for
reply...' in the status bar before the client even begin to download anything.
When includes are scattered all over, server processes some sends the web
browser info, here go fetch some more (css, js, images) until the the last
buffered output is sent </html>  (that is if your page is compliant ;)

Regards,
Tommy