On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Arno Kuhl <ak...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> I'm having some problems with the way my service provider is implementing
> FastCGI. My tests show that local configuration values are no longer used,
> even though those are the values reported by php when the script queries a
> setting (e.g. register_globals). In fact all settings done by script or in
> .htaccess are ignored, though reported to be in effect by php. I seem to
> remember seeing somewhere that local values are supposed to override master
> values but I can't find the reference right now. Can anyone please tell me
> how local vs. master values are supposed to work, or point me to a
> definitive reference.
>
> Cheers
> Arno

Changing register_globals in script will not have the desired effect,
since the action of registering globals will have been either
completed or skipped by the time you call ini_set(). If the host
allows it, you can override it in .htaccess, but I've not been able to
do so on the couple sites I've touched that were hosted on by a shared
hosting provider. In those cases, I WAS able to create my own php.ini
file in the web root folder and configure it as needed. Of course, if
you do that you should also configure Apache to not serve that file if
requested.

Andrew