You can use mysql's autoincrement ,but you must do some php for
special display,follow is my method.

1.create an int or smallint mysql col.
2.set it autoincrement.
3.insert some dates to database.
4.select dates and display with letter prefix.
for example: 12->AAA0012,AAA1234,
you can make an php functions to change num to prefix letter .
If you want letter autoincrement like int vars create an 26 based
calculate function for mapping number to letters.
ex:
10001->AAB0001
20001->AAC0001