Ben,

might be intersting to consider that in ur c axample u r working with a pure
memory position, while php works with references. thry it with pointers it
I'm pretty shure u get the same result as in PHP.

I'm not shure, because I don't work in perl, but doesn't per work on
references as well ?

ralph_def...@yahoo.de

"Ben Dunlap" <bdun...@agentintellect.com> wrote in message
> mind-blowing. What the heck /is/ supposed to happen when you do this:
>
> $a = 2;
> $a = $a++;
> echo $a;
>
> Seems like any way you slice it the output should be 3. I guess what's

... and, in fact, that /is/ how C behaves. The following code:

int a = 2;
a = a++;
printf("a = [%d]\n", a);

Will output "a = [3]". At least on Ubuntu 9 using gcc 4.3.3.

So I retract my initial terse reply and apologize for misunderstanding
your question.

Ben