Andrea Giammarchi wrote:

if used properly, could avoid recursion, and speed up operations ... there is
nothing wrong with goto, everything we write on lowest level is a jump in the
memory (as goto is a jump in the code flow)

++goto ... and not goto++

I forgot, I have always used goto in Batch script, which indeed can emulates
functions, except there is no recursion problem. I have a couple of batches
online if interesting, and from performances point of view, ask yourself why on
earth PHP core developers have introduced goto and actually somebody is using
it ;-)

Uh, I forgot I live in microoptimization land ... lol

If you read the archives for PHP Internals you can view the discussion that went into the final decision to include GOTO. It happened 2 or 3 years ago and I was certainly on the side arguing in its favour. The GOTO used in languages such as C and now PHP, is not the bastard GOTO of BASIC yesteryear. There are certainly use cases where the use of GOTO makes far more sense than other constructs. Finite state machines (often used in parsing) are one such place. In fact if you grep for goto on any major open source project's C code, you will probably find multiple occurrences. PHP, MySQL, and Apache all use goto.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com