Typing 'pear segmentation fault' in Google produces tons of responses so I know I'm not the only one with this issue, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. I rolled my own PHP 5.3.0 from source. Compilation went fine, no errors. Installation went without any errors. I can run 'pecl' and install some packages, but when I try to run 'pear', it segfaults after it downloads a package:

--------------------
$ pear install DB
WARNING: "pear/DB" is deprecated in favor of "pear/MDB2"
downloading DB-1.7.13.tgz ...
Starting to download DB-1.7.13.tgz (132,246 bytes)
Segmentation fault

Was, by any chance, PHP installed as binary before you install it from source? If this is the case try uninstalling the binary and then configure and compile the source again running 'make clean' before.

--
Thodoris