On Nov 25, 2009, at 2:42 PM, Skip Evans wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good Wiki to maintain documentation on a large commercial web site that is always growing.

DokuWiki is the only one I've installed and used at any length, so before I just use that one again I'd like to hear from the peanut gallery what other suggestions you'd have.

Remember, this will be for end user documentation for a large commercial CMS type system, something site admins will go to for information on site features, updates, etc.

Let the shouting begin!

Thanks, all, and a very happy eating-charred-dead-bird-flesh day to you all!!!

Skip

Well, I've used DocuWiki and bit new to MediaWiki which I think WikiPedia uses.

MediaWiki uses a MySQL DB were as DocuWiki is a tree dir structure kind of thing.

I actually prefer DocuWiki but maybe thats because I didn't setup MediaWiki correctly.

Cacti uses DocuWiki by the way and I personally avoid DB usage if possible.

I think its easier to corrupt a DB then it is to corrupt a filesystem.

However I'm unsure of how scalable a pure file system based Wiki is, I think if you put it on a mirrored disk with a decent cache on the Raid controller, you'll be fine performance and DR wise.

If its Linux, then MD based (software raids) works pretty well.

- aurf