Hello Ben,

I had the same question yesterday (but with SQLite) and there are at least 2 solutions.

The first was already mentioned:

UPDATE table SET value = value + 1 WHERE foo = bar;

The second solution which also works is:

UPDATE table SET value = (SELECT value FROM table WHERE foo = bar) + 1 WHERE foo = bar;

I hope it helps.

Greetings from Germany,

Sebastian

Ben Miller wrote:
I hope this isn't a bone-head question - Is there a MySQL query that will
increment/decrement the value in an integer column with a single query - in
other words, I don't have to run a SELECT query to get the value,
add/subtract to/from the value, and then run an UPDATE query to store the
new value?

Thanks in advance.

Ben