> values were stored, the APC storage began to slow down *dramatically*.  I
> wasn't certain if APC was using only RAM or was possibly also writing to
> disk.  Performance tanked so quickly that I set it aside as an option and
> moved on.
IIRC, i think it is built over shm and there is no disk backing store.

> memcached gives no guarantee about data persistence.  I need to have a hash
> table that will contain all the values I set.  They don't need to survive a
> server shutdown (don't need to be written to disk), but I can not afford for
> the server to throw away values that don't fit into memory.  If there is a
> way to configure memcached guarantee storage, that might work.

True but the lru policy only kicks in lazily. So if you ensure that
you never hit near the max allowed limit (-m option), and you store
your key-val pairs with no expiry, it will be present till the next
restart. So essentially you would have to estimate the value for the
-m option to big enough to accommodate all possible key-val pairs (the
evictions counter in memcached stats should remain 0). BTW, I have
seen this implementation behavior in 1.2.x series but not sure it is
necessarily guaranteed in future versions.

Ravi