Ok, after a lot of R'ing TFM, I'm more confused than I was before... Seems
MySQL plays pretty loose with most datatypes and stores half the numeric
types as strings, so

I want e.g. a 16 bit field where I can use the individual bits for various
flags. How should I set the MySQL datatype and attributes?

Also, are there any other caveats I should know about? (e.g. PHP's handling
of integers)

Back in the good ol' 680x0 ASM days this was so easy! :-)

TIA
--
Lasse