On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 12:14 +0100, Rene Veerman wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>

>         That function won't always work. You're using a PHP version
>         check for mysql_real_escape_string() when the most likely
>         failure point for it is if no database connection has been
>         opened.
>

> I never call it without an open db connection..
>

>         Also, you shouldn't strip the tags from a string that's being
>         inserted into the database. strip_tags() is for the display of
>         data on a web page. It's best practice not to alter the actual
>         data you've stored but to convert it once it's displayed.
>         Don't forget that the browser display may not be the only use
>         for that data.
>

> Let's call that a coder's / payer's preference..
>
> If i'd need human text, i'd want to strip it of computer code before
> it enters the db. Possibly log the attempt to insert code.

I have to deal with a lot of CMS's, so I expect the users to enter some
HTML code through a rich-text editor, and they expect to be able to.

Aside from that, it's good to have a complete copy of the code a user
attempted to insert, to see the methodology of an attack should it ever
occur.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk