On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:13:54PM +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

<snip>

> It's not really just that. In the csv format, a field value of 00123 (I don't
> really know what zip code formats are) is perfectly valid.

ZIP codes are simply five digits. The starting digit (0-9) identifies a
broad region of the country. The beginning 3-digit sequence identifies a
major processing center. A full 5-digit ZIP code can encompass a few
blocks or hundreds of square kilometers, depending on the density of
addresses (population). ZIPs ending in 98 or 99 are often reserved for
the Post Office itself.

Fascinating, huh? ;-}

Paul

--