Tommy Pham wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Per Jessen <p...@computer.org> wrote:
>>
>> Use the right tool for the right job - PHP is a scripting/interpreted
>> language, it does not need threading (IMO of course).
>>

>> --
>> Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)
>>

> I couldn't agree more.  But here's a real life example.  Your client
> has a forum and is using phpbb for their in house use.  They also have
> an in house custom PHP app, integrated with phpbb, built to suit their
> needs.  Now they want to implement some kind of CMS.  You come in and
> implemented a PHP based CMS to integrate into their existing
> applications.  Then you realize something troublesome, you have a
> performance issue where it could be resolved by implementing thread.
> What are you going to do?

The standard, mature, experienced answer is - buy a bigger box.

[snip]
> What do you think the client's response is when their need for the
> solution requires a short time frame of, if not immediate,
> implementation?

There are no immediate solutions to immediate performance problems.  If
you have a poor design that restricts your throughput, you can 1) throw
hardware at it or 2) change the design.  At some point you'll hit yet
another limit with 1), and you are forced back to 2).  Somewhere along
the line the original designer has presumably left or been made to.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.5°C)