We recently para-virtualised a Xen / CentOS box which is running script which uses fsockopen() to get a connection to an SMTP server.

Since the server changes it fails approx 50% of the time with:

"php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution"

We've tried the solutions from Googling this error (such as restarting Apache etc), but without success.

Why am I wasting your time with a Linux upgrade issue? Well, gethostbyname() seems to resolve the IP every time. Manual lookups on from the server seem to work with no problems.

Any help greatly appreciated. Should I perhaps be pointing this out on the 'internals' list?