<mailto:s...@bigskypenguin.com>   <mailto:s...@bigskypenguin.com>>    wrote:
>>  >>   Hey all,
>>  >>
>>  >>   What's the best way to filter/convert characters that don't
>>  >>   translate properly from say news stories to HTML?
>>  >>
>>  >>   For example, I have a form that people cut and paste the lead
>>  >>   in paragraph from news stories they want to link to from their
>>  >>   sites to the original. And of course things like long dashes,
>>  >>   double quotes, single quotes, etc, always translate is wacky
>>  >>   unprintables when they are rendered, and the user needs to
>>  >>   edit them to replace them with standard characters.
>>  >>
>>  >>   Is there way to filter this text through a function that will
>>  >>   convert them to web friendly chars?
>>  >>
>>  >>   Thanks,
>>  >>   Skip
>>  >>
>>  >>   --
>>  >>   ====================================
>>  >>   Skip Evans
>>  >>   PenguinSites.com, LLC
>>  >>   503 S Baldwin St, #1
>>  >>   Madison WI 53703
>>  >>   608.250.2720
>>  >>   http://penguinsites.com
>>  >>   ------------------------------------
>>  >>   Those of you who believe in
>>  >>   telekinesis, raise my hand.
>>  >>     -- Kurt Vonnegut
>>  >>
>>  >>   --
>>  >>   PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >

>>  No, only urlencode() won't do the job. He's saying more about the long
>>  spaces and quotes, etc.
>>
>>  --
>>  Nilesh Govindarajan
>>  Site&   Server Administrator
>>  www.itech7.com  <http://www.itech7.com>   <http://www.itech7.com>
>>  मेरा   भारत   महान   !
>>  मम   भारत:महत्तम   भवतु   !
>>

>  I wrote something that converts these characters, which you'll most
>  often find when copying text from MS Office:
>
>  http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk/coding_php_remove_ms_crap.php
>
>  The second argument to the function just tells it to remove all the
>  hidden meta tags that MS Office chucks into text that you copy into a
>  rich text box in a web page, as this can really mess up how the content
>  is displayed in a web browser.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Ash
>  http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Nice one. But not of use to me. I use geshi on my site, so cannot use
WYSIWYG editors. Instead I've BBCode and WikiCreole (PEAR Wiki) input
formats.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site&  Server Administrator
www.itech7.com  <http://www.itech7.com>
मेरा  भारत  महान  !
मम  भारत:महत्तम  भवतु  !

It's not just for wysiwyg editors, that's just the second part of the
function. The first does just what you asked for.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I didn't ask anything in this topic. It was Skip Evans the thread starter.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator