On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:56 +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 08:56 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> > > Then get a better email client if yours doesn't support "reply to all"
> > > or "reply to group". It's hardly the mailing list's fault that your
> > > client doesn't support that.
> >
> > My email client does support "reply to all", but it's IMHO
> > inconsiderate.
> >
> > Think about people that have to pay for every Mb they download. "reply
> > to all" causes these people to have to pay for duplicates.
> >
> > Now if somebody on this list was paying for their downloads, then you
> > and I am costing them money by using "reply to all" and now there are 2
> > duplicate messages for them the download.
> >
> > How would you feel if this was you?
> >
> > --
> > Blessings,
> > David M.
> >

> Did you read the link that David Robley sent on the original thread you
> made?

Yes. but if it was so harmful, why does the 40, 50 or so lists that I've
been on, simply let you hit the reply and it goes back to the list?

I am not arguing or upset, I am just so puzzled as to why the list has
this behavior. It is tedious to have to remember which lists I am on
will accept simply hitting the reply and those that don't.

> What you're proposing would cause a lot of problems for the sake of a
> few people.

I'm not proposing anything. Don't get me wrong. It's just so mind
boggling why this behavior. I read and understand the idea behind that
link, but if it was so harmful why is the majority of mailing lists
allowing a simple "reply"?

>  And I hardly think that a few emails are going to cause a
> bandwidth issue for anybody. If bandwidth was such an issue, they'd be
> using an email client that only downloaded the email headers first, and
> from there you could easily discern the duplicate messages.

Thats true, I agree. But what about those that are not computer savvy?
Take my wife for instance. LOL

Also, I do not want this discussion to turn into a flame war or anything
of such. I am simply just trying to have a discussion and learn why and
how there is different behavior here, but not anywhere else. And I am
also venting just a tad bit, because for the last 15 years up until I
joined this list 6 months or so ago, I have never seen this issue, and
changing habits after 15 years is quite hard, but I can't change my
habits if I don't figure out how and why.

PS. I used the "reply to list" on this e-mail. Do you know of any way I
can add an icon to my tool bar instead of clicking on the Message menu
or hitting ctrl+l?

--
Blessings,
David M.