Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:49:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [PHP] Append Dom Document
From: quickshif...@gmail.com
To: aj...@alumni.iu.edu
CC: php-general@lists.php.net

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Alice Wei <aj...@alumni.iu.edu> wrote:

Hi,

  I am trying to create a news feed page that loads a number of different feeds
depending on what options the user selects. For some reason, I could not figure
out how to get the dom document to "append" the different xml documents that
get created.

Below is the code, and obviously now every time when I try to have a new item
selected, then it displays that element's

<?php

$q=$_GET["q"];

$q2 = explode(" ",$q);

$count = count($q2);

for($i=0;$i<$count;$i++) {

//find out which feed was selected

  switch ($q2[$i]) {

    case "Weather":

$xml=("http://rss.weather.com/rss/national/rss_nwf_rss.xml?cm_ven=NWF&cm_cat=rss&par=NWF_rss";);

        break;

    case "NFL":

      $xml = ("http://www.nfl.com/rss/rsslanding?searchString=home";);

      break;

    default:

        exit;

        break;

$xmlDoc = new DOMDocument();

$xmlDoc->load($xml);

//get and output "<item>" elements

$x=$xmlDoc->getElementsByTagName('item');

for ($i=0; $i<=4; $i++)

  {

  $item_title=$x->item($i)->getElementsByTagName('title')

  ->item(0)->childNodes->item(0)->nodeValue;

  $item_link=$x->item($i)->getElementsByTagName('link')

  ->item(0)->childNodes->item(0)->nodeValue;

  $item_desc=$x->item($i)->getElementsByTagName('description')

  ->item(0)->childNodes->item(0)->nodeValue;

  echo ("<p><a href='" . $item_link

  . "'>" . $item_title . "</a>");

  echo ("<br />");

  echo ($item_desc . "</p>");

  }

you might have an easier time w/ SimpleXML for this task; have a look at the
examples:
http://us.php.net/manual/en/simplexml.examples-basic.php

the other thing i find strange about this code is the xml parsing assumes a
similar schema when the source urls are from seemingly totally disparate
domains, and topic .. id guess it sheer coincidence they have overlapping
schemas at all.

I am not sure what you mean in your second point, but I can explain the first
one. I am using PHP to parse RSS feeds, so that is why they all look the same.
Or, what do you mean here? I checked out your example, but my problem here is
that I cannot get the XML Dom document to append when I make a new selection. I
am hoping that it would create a new sub document of some sort beneath the new
one, instead of overwriting the entire document.

Am I making sense here?

Alice