My machine is running out of memory (256 MB; upgrading is not an option at
this point).

Each httpd process is taking up 8 MB of memory (4 MB shared). PHP4 is
responsible for about 3.5 MB of that.

Is there a way that I can reduce the memory usage of PHP4? Also, is it a
good idea to configure a separate Apache that has PHP4 enabled and use it
on only the PHP4 sites on the server, while the normal Apache has PHP4
disabled and serves the non-PHP4 sites?