Al wrote:

On 5/22/2010 1:02 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:
tedd wrote:
At 4:27 PM +0200 5/21/10, Anton Heuschen wrote:
So in the file it would look like (from the original file the user
uploads
that is)

1
2

3
4

5

6

but when the file is saved to the server it must look like

1
2
3
4
5
6
If that is all (i.e., removing double linefeeds), then this will do it:

$text_array = array();
$text_array = explode("\n\n", $input_text);
$output_text = implode("\n",$text_array);
Sorry tedd, this is broken. It doesn't solve problems with runs of
greater than 2 newlines which is even in the example :) I would use the
following instead which is also line break agnostic with final output in
the style for your system:

<?php

$data = preg_replace( "#[\r\n]+#", PHP_EOL, $input );

?>

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob: Your solution doesn't remove the blank lines [\r\n]+ use instead [\r\n]{2,} So 2 or more becomes only 1.

In general, problem is trickier when the following are considered. # means any number. 0, 1.....

some textEOL
#spacesEOL
more text

some text#spacesEOL
#spacesEOL
.... any number of these
#spacesEOL
more text

some textEOL
EOL
...any number of these
EOL
some text

The white space before the EOLs can also be tabs

Look at the solution I posted earlier. The trim() removes all the white spaces

My solution worked well where spaces were not an issue. Your solution breaks my more general solution. Although I did realize I should have trimmed the final output since any empty lead lines will not be removed. Please review and see why you're comment to use [\r\n]{2,} does not work properly. Correcting for lead blank lines and handling spaces in a blank line is also quite simple without having to use the heavy solution of foreach:

<?php

   $data = preg_replace( "#[\r\n]+[[:space:]]+[\r\n]+#", "\n", $input );
   $data = preg_replace( "#[\r\n]+#", PHP_EOL, $input );
   $data = trim( $input );

?>

Without benchmarking, I'm willing to bet this is faster and less memory intensive than your foreach solution :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.