On 7 June 2010 04:20, Skip Evans <s...@bigskypenguin.com> wrote:
> Hey Ash & all,
>
> Thanks for that detailed explanation.
>
> This is a lot of what I was thinking. Cookies can get deleted, etc, and all
> the other things that can toss wrenches into this.
>
> To clarify, they want to limit a single user to two machines max, but only
> one at a time.
>
> I'm going to have to explain to them the problems with this and see what
> else they can work out.
>
> The manual unlock Ash suggests is interesting, and I'll run that by them,
> but I'm thinking they might opt to forgo the limit for now to avoid risking
> pissing off new customers with something that might be more of a hassles for
> them than it's worth.
>
> Thanks much for your input. This is a lot of good stuff to help me
> articulate a response to the client.
>
> Skip
>
> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 20:31 -0500, Skip Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm familiar with setting cookies in PHP and using REMOTE_ADDR
>>> to get a visitor's IP address (or that of their gateway), but
>>> not quite sure how to implement a robust mechanism that would
>>> limit a user to logging in from only two different machines, a
>>> requirement this client has on the project.
>>>
>>> I'd greatly appreciate hearing from people who have done this
>>> or something similar, or suggestions people might have that
>>> would give that oh so familiar, "D'oh!" moment.
>>>
>>> I have some ideas sketched out, setting cookies, etc, but not
>>> sure how robust they'd be.
>>>
>>> Big Thanks!
>>> Skip
>>>
>>> --
>>> ====================================
>>> Skip Evans
>>> PenguinSites.com, LLC
>>> 503 S Baldwin St, #1
>>> Madison WI 53703
>>> 608.250.2720
>>> http://penguinsites.com
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> Those of you who believe in
>>> telekinesis, raise my hand.
>>>  -- Kurt Vonnegut
>>>

>> Is this two machines at the same time, or two machines ever?
>>
>> I don't think there's any way you can guarantee either, unless you
>> supply them with some form of closed binary that they are forced to use
>> either instead of or with the browser, i.e. a Java applet, etc.
>>
>> A similar question to this came up on the list not so long ago, and
>> there was no real conclusion at the end other than it can't really be
>> done. Cookies can be deleted, IP addresses change all the time (either
>> deliberately, by some proxy or even by the ISP itself issuing a dynamic
>> IP address), even the MAC address (if you found a way to get at it) can
>> change.
>>
>> About the only thing I've seen that might help was a device made for the
>> Bloomberg stock market system, which was a small credit-card sized
>> object which would read in a random pattern of flashes from the screen
> [...]

For dealing with multiple simultaneous logins, the easiest option is
the store the session ID against the user account on the DB and
compare this for each of the secured resources. Make sure that any
login page doesn't automatically login as you could end up in a mad
race as the 2 sessions compete to login and are constantly throwing
the other session out.

Richard.

--
-----