Here's something I found on the PHP Code Exchange:

Generate Excel files from PHP by Christian Novak on 2000-11-25 11:47:24
(v for 4.0) is 1974 bytes.
Small function library to generate Excel files/stream directly from PHP.

http://px.sklar.com/code.html?code_id=488

I haven't tried it out...it doesn't look terribly sophisticated but it
might work.

Brady