I was hoping for a "userland" soap library (like nuSoap if I understand
correctly).   I can't change the fact that the remote webservice requires
http auth.

Hopefully someone in this list uses either zend_soap or soapClient directly
with auth to confirm or deny that the problem is in this part specifically.