On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 09:09, Shreyas Agasthya <shreya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I am trying to do is send a mail from my localhost to my Gmail ID. I
> read stuff about how the SMTP port should be accessible; should be open et
> al. My set-up is very simple:
>
> 1. Using Easy PHP.
> 2. Windows XP

    3.) An SMTP server, I hope...?

> Also, when the comment says that you need to 'configure' your php.ini, which
> .ini should I modify? The reason being, I see that file in two locations,
> apparently.
> (i) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\apache
> (ii) C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 3.0\conf_files

    In a browser, check the output of phpinfo() - specifically, the
value for "Loaded Configuration File" - and modify that, as the other
may be for the PHP CLI, another installed component using a local
override, or may not even be used at all.

> *My php.ini (will remove the semi-colon)*
> *
> *
> ; For Win32 only.
> ;SMTP = localhost
> ;smtp_port = 25

    Uncomment the two lines above.

> ; For Win32 only.
> ;sendmail_from = m...@example.com

    You don't *need* to uncomment and set the `sendmail_from` option,
as long as you set an explicit `From` header in your code.  More on
that after your snippet.

> *My  code: *
> *
> *
> *
> <?php
> *
>
> $from= "shreya...@gmail.com";
> $to ="shreya...@gmail.com";
> $subject = "PHP Testing";
> $message = "Test Me";
> mail ($to,$subject,$message,'From:'.$from);
> ?>

    Your code should be modified just a bit for better conformance and
portability, but I understand that you're just using it as a test.
After following the suggestions above (and remembering to restart
Apache, of course), try this:

<?php

  $from = "sherya...@gmail.com";

  // Gmail allows (\+[a-z0-9\.\-_]+) appended to your username to
filter emails in your Gmail box.
  $to = "shreyasbr+phpt...@gmail.com";

  // This will append (at the moment, my local time) 1 Jul 2010, 09:27:23
  $subject = "PHP Testing ".date("j M Y, H:i:s");

  $message = "Test Me.";

  // Create your headers, remembering to terminate each line with CRLF
(\r\n) to comply with RFC [2]821.
  $headers  = "From: ".$from."\r\n";
  $headers .= "X-Mailer: PHP/".phpversion()."\r\n";

  // Send it, or inform us of an error.  No need to use a -f flag here.
  if (!mail($to,$subject,$body,$headers)) {
    echo "Ah, crap.  Something's SNAFU'd here.";
    exit(-1);
  }
?>

--