2010/8/24 Bob McConnell <r...@cbord.com>:
> From: Peter Lind

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#cite_note-1
>>
>> It's worth noting that that essentially does not touch upon whether or
>> not MD5 can be considered safe or not as a means to store password
>> information. The researchers have discovered ways of crafting inputs
>> to easily find colliding hashes - they have not discovered any easy
>> means to craft an input that will collide with a given hash.
>
> That's a simple matter of brute force, which can be done once and saved
> for instant use later. However, putting a salt into your algorithm
> pretty much eliminates the chances of success using that attack.
>
> Bob McConnell

Thanks..
actually it's quite annoying when you post an answer which
tries to explain a subject and people just post a link as
response to one citation which somehow lacks relevance on the topic.

My intro-sentence was "I'm not a crypto expert".

Gary, do you expect me to read the full detail report of Tao Xie and
Dengguo Feng?
Can you sum it up in two or three sentences?

Regards