On Sep 13, 2010, at 17:49, Tim Thorburn <immor...@nwconx.net> wrote:

> On 9/13/2010 9:10 AM, Steve Staples wrote:
>> here's a silly idea...
>>
>> put the database on his computer (or the entire app).  that way, when
>> he's *there* he is logged in.  if the computer is off, he's not there,
>> the app wont work (and the database).
>>
>> Steve

>>> What operating system is he using?
>>>
>>> Does he (for example), log into his computer and logoff/shutdown when
>>> he goes home?
>>>
>>> If he is using Windows (and I'm sure there are many ways to achieve
>>> this), then in the Startup folder, a small PHP script which sets a
>>> flag "I'm here", would allow the DB to know he's at least logged in.
>>>
>>> There are different ways to do this.
>>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_21195727.html
>>> covers login/logout/startup/shutdown.
>>>

>>> Do they have a clock card system for clocking in/out the building?
>>> Could you read the database that the clockings are logged in? An odd
>>> number for the day = he's in, even = he's out, missed clocking =
>>> screwed/guess.
>>>
>>> Ideally you want to "hook" into his normal activity if you can.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Richard Quadling
>>> Twitter : EE : Zend
>>> @RQuadling : e-e.com/M_248814.html : bit.ly/9O8vFY
>>>

> I'm pretty sure I'd have run for the hills after my first meeting with this
> client, but if you're sure you want to proceed ... Beyond the options
> mentioned, you could set it up so that the boss would log in each morning
> with a session that times out at the end of the work day (8, 10, 12, w/e
> hours later).  To make it even more secure, you could have the boss create
> new logins for each employee at the start of each day.  Since yesterdays
> passwords will no longer work, the boss will have to be there to issue new
> passwords to whomever he deems worthy of access on this day.  These passwords
> would of course expire at the normal leaving time, so if someone came in late
> for a password at 4pm and work ends at 6pm, their password would only last
> two more hours.
>
> All in all, I'd still grill him more about what it is he actually wants and
> why, as all of the ideas presented thus far have at least a dozen different
> ways things can go wrong.  Putting the app on the bosses computer sounds
> great and all, but if he's sick or away on business suddenly no one in the
> office is doing any work.  Or when his hdd gives out or is replaced and IT's
> backup system wasn't as great as it could have been you'll have fun getting
> paid to re-do everything.  Having everything require a usb stick to launch
> sounds secure, until he loses the stick or forgets it at home one day.  For
> fun I'd suggest tagging him with a microchip which your application will
> constantly scan for and only activate when he's within a certain radius of
> his desk.  Retna scans shouldn't be overlooked either. <insert Mission
> Impossible theme here>

> [...]

Well, if we are going down this route, many new laptops are offering some form
of biometrics for access. If your client has one, you could potentially launch
a script to start/ stop the db at that time.

Or if we follow the new password suggestion, his morning login could run a
script to reset and email all users their passwords automatically.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod