On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshif...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > give the timezonedb extension a shot
>> > http://pecl.php.net/package/timezonedb
>>

>> Tried it, no change. It is still impossible to get simple CENTRAL
>> timezone output. This is maddening.
>
> That's really weird since I'm sure php has its own timezone db, and it
> sounds like that's where PHP is getting it if you saw the correct output
> after switching date.timezone to America/Denver.  What about trying
> date_default_timezone_set() ?

I had tried that originally too. It does set the timezone "correctly,"
but then again so does the ini set. So the timezone does get set to
America/Chicago with a date_default_timezone_set(), and then PHP
shanks from there, showing UTC. It seems certain that the timezone
*does* get set to America/Chicago (via multiple methods), and that
America/Chicago *itself* is corrupt in PHP--and that's even with
timezonedb installed. Now everybody knows Chicago is full of
corruption, but at least the clocks aren't, right?

Surely there are bizillions of others out there running this
combination of software in the Central time zone! Yet it's as if
nobody else has corrupt timezone DB records (be they internal or via
timezonedb) except me. And I can't help but notice how CentOS (tzdata
package) is also corrupt, every single time it gets updated, on the
Central zone but no others. Obviously these should be entirely
separate issues, but "somebody" out there has it out for the Central
time zone. Probably a Yankees fan.

Dan