'Twas brillig, and Daniel P. Brown at 04/11/10 14:36 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm already highly impressed with mod_pagespeed.  It even
> removes excess spaces - such as those in <br /> tags - without any
> adverse reactions I've seen so far.

Nice. I still stick spaces in my <br /> tags due to the parsing error in
IE(somethingold) but I'm pretty sure that was pre-IE6 and thus something
I really don't care about now!

That said, I'm not sure I'd really want it to optimise all my HTML
pages. CSS, JS and images yes, no problem, but the storage overhead of
the disk cache all the dynamic pages is probably not worth it for me.
But that's presumably just one of the things it can do.

>     In any case, there are some minor quirks I've found, so I'm not
> ready to put this into production for any of my client's servers yet,
> but I can see myself starting to do so in two to four weeks, barring
> any horrible discoveries.

The build process looks very ugly.... And it's strange their build page
seems to suggest GCC 4.2 but CentOS 5.5 only has GCC 4.1 so I'm a bit
puzzled as to why it's one of their recommended systems :s

I'll take the build process for a spin at some point, but they really do
need to make it more streamlined.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie