From: Christopher Ostmo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 4:49 PM
To: John Donagher
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Credit card number checker?

John Donagher pressed the little lettered thingies in this order...

> My suggestion is to run an authorization for an extremely small amount of
> money ($1.00 is fairly standard) and that will tell you if the account is
> valid or not. Doing validation yourself implies a
fully-publicly-understood

Maybe I am the only one, but I would NEVER do business with ANY
company that charged my credit card just to see if it was valid.

At any rate, the initial request was to see if their was a way by which
you could tell whether the number is valid BEFORE it is sent to the
bank for processing.  Since this solution requires sending the card to
the bank for processing to see if the number is valid, it would defeat the
purpose.

Christopher Ostmo
a.k.a. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AppIdeas.com