On 03/01/2011 18:38, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
On 01/03/2011 11:46 PM, David Lidstone wrote:
Hi

First up, I apologise as this must have been posted before, but the
server is so slow I can't search, or even read messages often. I'm
using Thunderbird - any tips on how to access news.php.net faster!?

In Apache, I can set "ErrorDocument 404 /myerrorpage.php" and it
works. Doing the same but with a 500 error for a PHP script, it
doesn't. I just get the PHP error printed on the screen. What I've
seen on the net implies to me that PHP does not fully interact with
Apache when it generates an error, and therefore this approach will
not work. Is this correct?

I just want to redirect to a PHP page on 500 error and run a small
script. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
David

Basically, it is not a 500 error.
It's an error produced by the php itself.
The file which was run by php had some error, so php outputs that error
to the client. This is actually a successful request when you see from
the apache's eye.

That's what I feared, although my server seems to send 500 headers but my local xampp install sends 200 headers. Strange.

So what do people do about getting notified about errors? - I have too many sites to look after to manually sift through logs. I can't refactor every script with try / catch (which wouldn't catch compile bugs anyway)? How does Apache know to log the error with "ErrorLog" but not redirect with "ErrorDocument"? Is there a way I can piggy-back this behaviour instead? Sorry for so many questions, but the more I look at this the crazier it seems and most of the stuff on the net is just static!

Perl interacts "fully" with Apache from what I can gather. Anyone know whether this is planned for the future? When I had to use IIS and ASP it had this functionality and it was very handy.

Thanks again,
David