Hello,

On http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.constants.php there are some predefined
constants for MYSQLI_TYPE_TINY_BLOB, MYSQLI_TYPE_MEDIUM_BLOB,
MYSQLI_TYPE_LONG_BLOB, and MYSQLI_TYPE_BLOB.  Through some experimentation I
have found that fields in my MySQL database that are declared as 'text' in
MySQL are categorized by PHP as 'blob' when I compare the above constants to
the field's type using
http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-result.fetch-fields.php.

In the MySQL documentation http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/blob.html in
the second paragraph it states:
---
BLOB values are treated as binary strings (byte strings). They have no
character set, and sorting and comparison are based on the numeric values of
the bytes in column values. TEXT values are treated as nonbinary strings
(character strings). They have a character set, and values are sorted and
compared based on the collation of the character set.
---

I was wondering if PHP's interpretation of 'text' as 'blob' could cause me any
trouble down the road and what the workarounds are, if any.  Thank you.

Mari