On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Hansen, Mike <mike.han...@atmel.com> wrote:

> I would opt for using my_mail and not overriding a built-in function. It
> seems to me that it would just cause confusion for the next developer who
> takes care of your code. You know, that psychopathic programmer that knows
> your address. =)

Yes, better to create your own function (or class) to abstract the mail()
API of your choosing is the better route. You'll have to retrofit the script
to use it, but you can then swap in different mail systems later without
changing the client. Even when you don't anticipate needing to switch to a
different provider, adding an abstraction layer from the start is often
cheap enough to warrant the risk of never needing to change the
implementation underneath.

David