Marcos Mathias pressed the little lettered thingies in this order...

> People!
>
> Someone can tell me if PHP 4 closes their connections to the DB
> automatically at the end of the script?
> Or I need to use the mssql_close function each time my work is done?
>
> Best Regards!

From:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.php
The link to the server will be closed as soon as the execution of the script ends,
unless it's closed earlier by explicitly calling {HYPERLINK
"function.mysql-close.php"}mysql_close().

From:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-pconnect.php
Second, the connection to the SQL server will not be closed when the execution
of the script ends. Instead, the link will remain open for future use
({HYPERLINK "function.mysql-close.php"}mysql_close() will not close links established
by mysql_pconnect()).

So... if you use mysql_connect(), your connections are automatically closed at
script completion with or without mysql_close(). If you use mysql_pconnect(),
your connections stay open whether you use mysql_close() or not.

Your MySQL server will close unused connections after they have been unused
for a set period of time.  Connections that are left open will be re-used if a
request is made, so it's not like leaving a process hanging out in space.

Leaving the connection open reduces the processing overhead that is necessary
to open and destroy a connection on every request, so it is generally considered
worth the extra memory required to keep connections open that are not being
used, but probably will be used shortly.

Only the person/people familiar with your server and/or web site can determine
which is best: close connections at the cost of overhead for each connection or
leave them open at the cost of requiring extra operating memory and system
resources.

Decisions, decisions...

Christopher Ostmo
a.k.a. [EMAIL PROTECTED]