[snip]
Oh no no no. You can use PHP to GENERATE JS, CSS, HTML, XML, etc. You
just can't CALL JS from PHP and get a response.[/snip]

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure that we were all on the same
page because some of the answers given to the OP may have been somewhat
confusing. Many of you know how much I have tried to make sure that
posters in the past have understood the difference between client-side
vs. server-side. AJAX blurs that line for some developers but I still
believe that line to be steadfastly in place.