>Here's the URL of the relevant manual page:
>http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-fetch-result.php

The manual page did not explain the purpose of the text 'die', so was
ignored (;)). Anyway, the php code was amended as follows:

        <?php
                $db = pg_connect('dbname=databasename user=httpd');
                $query = pg_query($db,'SELECT * FROM databasetable');
                $value=pg_fetch_result($query,100,0);
                echo 'list of files' ,$value,'\n';
        ?>

The result is a web page which shows:

list of files12345\n

where '12345' corresponds correctly to an equivalent value in row 100
of the database table. However, the query requests the entire table.

The php code was then amended as follows, which produces output from
the database:

        <?php
                $db = pg_connect('dbname=databasename user=httpd');
                $query = pg_query($db,'SELECT * FROM databasetable');
                $value=pg_fetch_all_columns($query,1);
                var_dump($value);
        ?>

>My personal recommendation, however, is to drop old-style procedural
>drivers and switch to PDO - it's much more convenient to use, IMO. If
>you use PDO, you don't need to study the API of various different DB
>drivers, and your code can easily switch from one database to another.

What does PDO mean, so the relevant parts of the manual can be
reviewed? Thank you.