On 06/06/11 21:07, Richard Quadling wrote:
On 6 June 2011 13:55, Pete Ford<p...@justcroft.com>  wrote:
Is there something on the Apache/PHP end that might be causing this
blocking? (Apache 2.2.10, PHP 5.2.14)

The browser and / or OS may be obeying the settings about the number
of simultaneous connections per host.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110 /
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt 8.1.4 Practical Considerations ...

"   Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
    simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
    single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections with
    any server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to
    another server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously
    active users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response
    times and avoid congestion."

Also, (from googling)
http://forums.serverbeach.com/showthread.php?6192-Max-Concurrent-Connections-Per-Host,
mod_throttle and/or mod_bandwidth may be capable of restricting the
number and/or speed of connections.

Thanks Richard,

There's no mod_throttle or mod_bandwidth, but I SHOULD have remembered RFC2616. I'll look into working with that, although I'm having trouble reproducing the problem since my dev machine sits on the same network as the server and the files come down too quickly!
Maybe I can use a redirect or something to force a new connection...

--
Peter Ford, Developer                 phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd.                              www.justcroft.com