It runs fast on my 2.33 core 2, and about as fast on this small data set, on
the dual 6 core with 96GB ram, or the 8 core 9GB box, it depends on the size
of your data set, memory speed and latency, and miniscule amount of
processing power (once again assuming small data set).

That said, you could probably do some clever stuff to minimize the range you
are looking for. For example, you could use the average record size with
imploding the array and searching, capturing the offset, you could
potentially cut out a lot of records that you are, within a certain
probability sure that the result is not in, making your search execute
faster by not even looking in the majority of data in most cases, this would
be interesting to test out actually. You could sort the array to further
narrow down the search by some criteria, what have you. This would all apply
if you are searching very large data sets, i am talking about multiple
billion data points. And all that said, arrays are not really a good
data-structure for searching anyways, that's why they are rarely used in
file systems or as memory data structures ;)

Shawn, == is not good for string comparison, its a bad habit that one should
get out of, use ===, its much safer .

Also try the same algorithm on 100000 arrays of some number of values
10-1000 perhaps, that would give you better performance statistics :)

-- Alex

--
The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is
doing until it’s too late.  ~Seymour Cray