While I do agree with your discloser of the bloat for all off the shelf
frameworks.

I created my own framework and my development time drop drastically and not
by a few hours, in some cases days.

The complaint of time is always an issue, if you do not scope out a project
properly.
Timelines and IPR's (In Process Reviews) will keep the developers sane, and
the customer happy.

It tells the customer: I have given you expectation timelines on how long it
will take me to get to each point in development.
It also gives you an opportunity to find obstacles in development that can
be discussed or redirected with another option before the project begins.
Any added edge on the timelines, allows for extra creativity and pit falls.

The worst thing you can do?  Not take time to understand your development
process and coding practices.

To use someone else's framework is asking for trouble.
Like most who download a framework, install it. They just setup the config
and start programming.

Bad, Bad, BAD!!!!
If you took the time to flow through the framework, you might understand all
the things you never want to happen that can cause serious latency issues.
Then soon learn, you are better off just writing your own or developing a
coding practice that keeps your timelines consistent.

If you are using a database, PLEASE learn what is called Relational
modeling.
The fastest server in the world will not help a poorly designed database,
causing 78% of all latency in projects that are DB driven.

I never claimed to be the expert here, I just know what has made me very
successful.

Richard L. Buskirk